Classic Safari Challenge

Classic Safari Challenge
Charging into the Dust by Cabtography

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Phil defeated at dinner -- update

Hello dear followers and readers.

There has been a rumour that I was defeated by a recent dinner.
Those who know me well will be aware that I enjoy my food and generally get stuck into meals with great enthusiasm.
A couple of nights ago we went to the nearby township restaurant as recommended by our landlady.
That restaurant which as Laurette has pointed out was decorated with "roosteranalia", ie models, pictures and the like of roosters everywhere.

Anyway, we sat down, first to arrive for the night, and the waitress ( one of several ) asked in broken English if we wanted the antipasta.  We initially said no, and asked for menus.  No menus so we said yes to antipasta.  It is often joked that anti pasta is anti food, but this was a large plate of cheeses and vegetables, along with the usual bread.  The meat and cheese were on large platters and you cut and ate what you wanted.

Next course was pasta, two large plates of gnocchi and tagliatelli.  Both of us feeling rather full by now, assisted by a litre jug of house white wine and a litre of water. Pasta eaten to say 60% only

Next course was the "carni" which according to our waitress was a small portion of chicken, lamb or pork.
It turned out to be a quarter chicken each with a plate of roast vegetables.  Both struggling valiently by now.  The wine jug has been refilled and the restaurant is filling up with dozens of locals who all get much the same food.  I am looking over my shoulder for my mate Dallas to rescue me & help out, but no appearance.  Managed to push sufficient around to make my effort look respectful.

Dessert was selected by my good wife on my behalf, meringue, strawberries & cream.  Managed to knock that one off.

Finally, expresso and a drive back up the steep dirt hillclimb to our lodgings for the night.

As I believe that this was an ambush by the locals, I wish to reassure all that I will continue my dedication to my food and take this minor defeat as a temporary setback only.

Yours toothfully
Phil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment